Biological Engineering is the design of sustainable products and processes for new products and clean fuels, taking advantage of biological materials and mechanisms in new ways.
Within the Department of Biological and Ecological Engineering, program options are currently available at the graduate level.
Active research projects
This research area applies principles of biological sciences to the development of engineering processes and devices. Core areas of activites include bioprocessing, high value bioproduct engineering, and biofuels development.
- Metabolic Engineering (Chaplen)
- Biological Hydrogen Production (Ely)
- Development and Deployment of the Fluorescent Spectral Profile Imaging and Incubation System (FSPII) (Fan)
- Bio-Electrolytic Hydrogen Production (Liu)
- Microbial Fuel Cells (Liu)
- Design and Evaluation of Efficient Photobioreactors for Algae Production (Murthy)