Useful tools and links for Fisheries and Wildlife Employees:

Human Resources


How do I hire an OSU work study or regular hourly student worker?

Email the Office Specialist 2 of the Department with the following information:

  • Number of positions available
  • Title (lab assistant, field tech, etc.)
  • Advertising dates
  • Start date
  • End date
  • Approximate end date (if there is one)
  • Hourly wage (if hiring a work study student you will only pay 25% of wages)
  • Position description (breakdown of responsibilities to be done)
  • How the supervisor would like to receive applicant inquiries (email or hard copy) and what you want to include (cover letter, resume, references, etc.)
  • Any minimum qualifications (i.e. CH 121-123, previous experience with microscopes, must have valid driver's license)
  • Index to be charged 

The Office Specialist 2 will then post the position on OSU's Employment Page and notify the supervisor when it is open for applications.Once you have selected your applicant, email the Office Specialist 2 with their name and contact information. The Office Specialist 2 will arrange a time to meet the student to discuss any hiring paperwork or questions. If the student has not been an OSU employee before, they will need to bring the appropriate I9 documents. The student will have a confirmed start date after the hiring paperwork has been processed. Work should not begin until all hiring paperwork is completed and approved. 

How do I hire a temporary employee?

Typically our Department uses one of two temporary positions. The first position is a third party hiring agency and the other is the OSU Temporary position. Temporary employees are primarily used for seasonal summer appointments, for students who have just graduated, or for employees who will only be working one field season. To hire a temporary employee, email the Administrative Manager with the following: 

  • Number of positions
  • Start date
  • End date
  • Approximate end date
  • Average hours to be worked per week
  • Hourly wage
  • Position Description
  • Reason for using agency, if doing so (ex. non-student employee, specialized skills for project)
  • Index to be charged. 

The Administrative Manager will then complete a temporary hire request. Once approved, the candidate will need to bring appropriate I9 documents with them to complete the hiring paperwork with either the hiring agency (office in Corvallis) or with the Administrative Manager, depending on the hire. Work should not begin until all hiring paperwork is completed and approved.


How do I approve my employee's timesheet if I am a supervisor?

EmpCenter is the software used by OSU for employee timesheets and there are several supervisor training guides and other resources available at their website.

When are hourly employee timesheets due?

Hourly employee timesheets are due the 15th of every month. EmpCenter will send employees a reminder email to submit their timesheet. Employees can log in to EmpCenter to make any edits and submit their timesheet. 

When are faculty and staff timesheets due?

Faculty and Staff timesheets are due the last day of every month. EmpCenter will send employees a reminder email to submit their timesheet. Employees can log in to EmpCenter to make any edits and submit their timesheet.  

When do employees get paid?

Faculty, staff, and students are paid on the last business day of the month. 

top of the page

Travel Resources

What do I need to do before I travel?

If the traveler hasn't traveled or been reimbursed by OSU in the past year they will need to complete and submit a Vendor Activation Form to the Office Specialist 2 of the department. The traveler will be an active vendor for one year from the date of their last reimbursement. If you are not sure if you are a vendor please check with the Office Specialist 2.

Travel authorizations are required for ALL out of state travel (see travel coordinator for field site exceptions) and need to be submitted PRIOR TO TRAVEL. Foreign travel on grants also requires prior approval from the Office of Sponsored Research and Award Administration (OSRAA), so make sure to plan ahead when traveling. 

The travel authorization form is found on the OSCAR website under 'Travel' section. NOTE: Upon completing this form on the last page when "continue" is selected a .PDF should populate in a new internet browsing window. If this does not happen, usually a pop-up blocker is enabled and the form has been blocked. Turn the pop-up blocker off, select the "back" button on the browsing window, and select "Continue" at the bottom of the form again. This should repopulate the travel authorization form. The traveler will sign the pre-travel authorization form, have their PI or Department Head sign for approval, and submit to the Office Specialist 2.  

Want a cheat sheet for your own personal reference? Download this Traveling 101 document and save it in your files.

How can I purchase plane tickets?

After an authorization is on file the traveler can work directly with the travel agent to create a flight itinerary. Azumano Travel Agency is currently the only contracted direct bill vendor. If the traveler chooses to use a non-contracted vendor and pays for it personally, the traveler (not OSU) will be responsible for cancellations, itinerary changes, or other charges unless the charges are necessary for OSU’s business needs or are outside the control of the traveler. Only regular, coach class fares are allowed. More policy information for purchasing and reimbursements can be found under the Air Transportation Fiscal Operations Manual.

Will I need to pay for the hotel rental?

Travelers will need to reserve their own lodging accommodations for overnight travel. It is possible to use the departmental credit card to pay for lodging (within per diem rate) when it is associated with a conference. To do this you will work directly with the credit card custodian. When making your reservation, be sure to ask for the "government rate," as many hotels will offer a discount to government workers. Lodging reimbursements are based on single occupancy, according to current OSU per diem rates. Multiple OSU business travelers can share a hotel room and the hotel bill can be split individually, or one traveler can pay the entire amount. Either way, an itemized receipt will be required for reimbursement. OSU policy on lodging accommodations can be found under the Lodging Fiscal Operations Manual.

How do I reserve a rental car?

Travelers can reserve a rental car through OSU Contracted Agencies using a billable index. For Enterprise reservations please contact the Office Specialist 2 to obtain the required passcode prior to reserving. Vehicles may be rented only when it is the most economical/efficient means of transportation. When renting from the OSU Motor Pool, the University’s insurance will cover the cost of damage to a rental car and/or third party liabilities. The Unit renting the vehicle will be responsible for paying the deductible. Each occurrence has a $5,000 deductible. More OSU policy information can be found under the Ground Transportation Fiscal Operations Manual

Can I drive my own vehicle?

An employee may request in advance to travel by personal vehicle in lieu of air travel, in order to combine official travel with personal travel. If choosing to drive rather than fly the traveler will be reimbursed for whichever is less: the personal mileage reimbursement or the cost of round-trip airfare that would have been incurred. Travelers will need to obtain a comparison quote from one of the contracted travel agencies showing the most economical direct route travel cost. This quote will be used to reimburse the traveler after the trip is completed. Expenses incurred from the additional time required to drive are not reimbursed. Employees and agents authorized to use their private vehicles for official business are required to have personal automobile insurance including liability, uninsured motorist, and personal injury protection to provide the primary coverage for any accidents involving that vehicle. More OSU policy information can be found under the Ground Transportation Fiscal Operations Manual

How do I get reimbursed for completed travel?

Students and employees will complete a travel reimbursement form through the Travel Reimbursement Entry System (TRES) in Online Services by logging in with their ONID account. The traveler will fill out the form and submit it electronically. To ensure the TRES form is submitted properly it is imperative to select the Department's travel coordinator in the "travel certifier" field. Business Purpose/Notes section should always include the following: where/why did you travel, who was with you, how you got there and back, and where you stayed. If using acronyms in the trip description please write out the full name of the acronym this section. After submitting, the traveler will need to turn in all their related receipts, conference itinerary (showing location and dates), and plane boarding passes that are being claimed in their travel reimbursement. Food receipts do not need to be included, as they are reimbursed according to the OSU per diem chart. If the traveler does not have an ONID account (no OSU affiliation) they will need to work directly with the travel coordinator for travel reimbursements

The travel coordinator will make final edits to the travel reimbursement and place a completed form in the traveler's mailbox box for signature. If the traveler does not have a mailbox an email notification will be sent. The signed TRES document will need approval from the traveler's PI or the Department Head. Once all signatures are obtained the TRES document will be scanned to the Business Center for processing. More OSU policy information can be found under the Travel Reimbursement Fiscal Operations Manual.

Want a cheat sheet for your own personal reference? Download this Traveling 101 document and save it in your files.

I am hosting a University guest, how do I handle travel and food expenses. 

When hosting a university guest, the employee who is serving as the host can arrange for direct billing of airfare. The host will need work with the travel coordinator for approval before making the arrangements. The host can also purchase the guest's meals and other associated expenses. After travel has been completed, the host will need to fill out a personal reimbursement form (see instructions below) then submit it, as well as an itemized receipt (showing each item purchased) and a list of attendees to the travel coordinator. Additional documentation and justification may be needed for some purchases, for details please read the Hosting Groups and Official Guests, Fiscal Operations Manual.  

top of the page

Purchasing, Invoices, and Personal Reimbursements

How do I purchase supplies through a store (less than $5,000.00)?

OSU has many contracted vendors, as well as many local vendors, that can be used to direct bill supplies and equipment. To have a purchase direct billed, ask the vendor if there is currently an account set up with the department. If there is, you simply provide the vendor with your index number (sometimes used as the PO number for the purchase), the billing/shipping address, and a contact phone number. The purchaser will then turn in any associated receipts to 104 Nash Hall in the "invoices" mailbox. Purchasers should make sure the index number, their first and last name, and date are on all receipts that are turned in. 

If you plan on using a vendor frequently and they have not already been set up as a direct bill vendor with OSU, please contact our Business Center and they will work with the vendor to create a direct billing account. Use of the Departmental Credit Card or OSU's contracted vendors are preferred methods for OSU business related purchases. For emergency situations, you may purchase supplies that are less than $100.00 and complete a personal reimbursement request. 

NOTE: all computer related ordering should route through our Roots IT Support Team

How do I make a purchase using the Departmental Credit Card?

The Departmental Credit Card can be used for purchases under $5,000.00. Email the credit card custodian for the department with the following: 

  • Index# --  Also, be sure to CC the PI of the index when sending the request
  • Website -- Copy paste the link into the email that will take me directly to the item you want to purchase.
  • Description -- What kind of item is it, item number, color, size, etc.
  • Price -- Please include shipping and handling when calculating. If you do not give specific instructions on shipping (i.e. overnight, 2-day, etc.) I will automatically select the least expensive option.
  • Quantity
  • Justification -- A brief description stating why the item is needed in relation to index being used 

Some restricted purchases include transportation and lodging costs, meals, food, groceries, entertainment, weapons, and ammunition. Typical credit card purchases include project supplies, conference registration (not including memberships), books and software.  

Want a cheat sheet for your own personal reference? Download this Purchasing 101 document and save it in your files.

What if my purchase is over $5,000.00?

OSU employees (unless delegated) do not have the authority to sign any contracts. These contracts must be sent to the Business Center for routing. Email our Accounting Technician for help with purchases that are $5,000.00 or larger.

How do I get personally reimbursed?

If the employee hasn't been reimbursed by OSU in the past year they will need to complete and submit a Vendor Activation Form to the travel coordinator for the department. 

Employees and non-employees can be personally reimbursed for purchases totaling less than $100.00 but should be used infrequently. Project supply purchases, hosting of official guests, and celebration supplies are typical personal reimbursement purchases. Reimbursements need to be submitted within 60 days of purchase, or 60 days after the conclusion of the travel/field work during which the expenditure was made. Original receipts with a completed personal reimbursement form need to be submitted with your signature to the invoices and receipts mailbox in Nash 104. With the form please include a note with the PI's name for the final approval signature.

For questions about this process please contact our office specialist to assist you. For more information about OSU policy please see the Personal Reimbursement Fiscal Operations Manual

What do I do with packing slips and invoices that are mailed to me?

Any packing slips or invoices that are mailed to the department need to have a full name, date, and index number on them. If this information is not visible on the statement, please write it on the top of the statement and then place in the "invoices" box in the mail room.

A list of expenditure types and reimbursement FAQs can be found under the Fiscal Operations Manual.

top of the page


Where do I find a course catalog or OSU's schedule of classes? How do I know when FW courses are offered? 

The course catalog will allow you to look up any course offered by OSU. The schedule of classes can be used to look at a course subject by the term. Both of these resources will display term offerings for individual courses however, only the current term offerings are accurate.

For accurate future term offerings of FW courses and to view all teaching assignments please login with your ONID account to our FW Course Offerings 2017-18* spreadsheet or use our class list.

*You must be logged out of any personal Gmail email accounts to log in to the FW Course Offerings drive.

How do I get access to Canvas as an Instructor or Graduate Teaching Assistant?

In order to get access to Canvas, please contact the scheduling coordinator. The scheduling coordinator will add you as an instructor to the schedule of classes, through Banner, as long as FERPA training has been completed.

A Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) can take FERPA training and then be added to the course by the supervising faculty member, or through the scheduling coordinator

Please notify the scheduling coordinator that FERPA training is complete, at that time the scheduling coordinator will grant access to course materials. 

I am an instructor, how do I request access for my GTA to my course's Canvas site?

If the Graduate Teaching Assistant for the course has already completed FERPA training the instructor can grant access to the GTA through Canvas.

If the Graduate Teaching Assistant for a course has not completed FERPA, they will need to take the training before being granted access to the course. 

What are eSETs? Where can I find eSET records? 

The Electronic Student Evaluation of Teaching system is an easy way for students to provide feedback to teaching faculty about their learning experiences. Each term, students receive an email asking them to complete evaluations for their classes. They are allowed two weeks to complete the assessment for each of their courses and instructors. For more information about eSETs please visit the eSET website hosted by Academic Programs, Assessment, and Accreditation.

The Department of Fisheries and Wildlife has compiled a list of medians and means of CAS and FW eSET records since 2003. Any missing cells are data that were not compiled (see notes in the "metadata" tab). There are separate scores for Ecampus and Corvallis campus courses. "All" includes online, so the scores are not independent. 

I am needing help with Canvas, where can I find resources?

Canvas has an extensive list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). Log into Canvas, click on the "Help" button in the upper right corner, select "Search the Canvas Guides", then select Instructor Guides. This will include step by step instructions to all additions and customizations allowed on the Canvas platform. 

If you cannot find an answer to a question, you can submit a request to the Oregon State Canvas Migration team. 

Where can I find resources for reporting academic misconduct?

In an academic community, faculty members play the most important role in maintaining academic standards. When an act of academic misconduct is observed or suspected, a process is in place to uniformly address such events.  Please follow the procedure outlined on the Academic Misconduct Reporting Forms website.  If you have further questions or need clarification, please call Student Conduct and Community Standards (SCCS) at (541) 737-3656.

Ecampus Instructors should pay careful attention to step 5 in each of the forms for specific information related to teaching an online course or contact Ecampus Learner Services for more information: 
OSU Ecampus Learner Services
4943 The Valley Library
Corvallis, OR 97331-4504
Phone: 541-737-4166 Fax: 541-737-6124 or 

What are the differences among FW 501/601 Research, FW 505/605 Reading and Conference, FW 507 Seminar and FW 599/699 Special Topics?

FW 501/601, FW 505/605, and FW 507/607 are considered "blanket courses," are often graded as Pass/No Pass (P/N) and do not include lecture. These courses are scheduled as discussions, seminars, non-thesis related research, and recitation.

FW 507/607 Seminar or alternative seminar courses approved by the Student's Graduate Committee are a required part of the MS and PhD Fisheries and Wildlife program of study. Special Topic courses, scheduled as FW 599/699, are lecture or lab-based courses with assessment (quiz, exam, papers, projects) and generally offered only once. These courses can be taught by existing, visiting or courtesy faculty.

If a Special Topics course is offered regularly, it should go through the new course category proposal process to be assigned a permanent number. New course proposals typically take 6-8 months for approval. If you are interested in offering a course that is not on the regular Fisheries and Wildlife schedule, please contact Bruce Dugger, Associate Department Head of Academic Affairs. Requests for Special Topic courses need to be submitted no later than one term prior to when the course will be offered. 

I'd like to access to the Fisheries and Wildlife Teaching resource materials (documents from FW 502), how do I get access to the Canvas site? 

Please send an email to, or the Administrative Program Assistant requesting permission, including your ONID username.


Where do I find a course catalog or OSU's schedule of classes? How do I know when FW courses are offered? 

The course catalog displays any course offered by OSU. The schedule of classes can be used to look at a course subject by a term. Both of these resources will display term offerings for individual courses however, the term offerings are only accurate for the current term. 

For accurate future term offerings of FW courses and to view all teaching assignments please login with an ONID account to the FW Course Offerings 2017-18 spreadsheet* or use the class list.

*You must be logged out of any personal Gmail email accounts to login to the FW Course Offerings drive.

I want to teach a special topics course in an upcoming term, what do I need to do? 

Work with the Associate Department Head for Academic Affairs to coordinate an appropriate term offering. Once approved, please contact the scheduling coordinator with a completed New Course Request form. 

How do I reserve a room for a seminar, presentation or polycom meeting? 

The department has several departmental rooms that are available for use: Nash 032, Nash 033, Nash 104J, and Nash 164. There are also other Nash Hall and Ag. Life Science rooms that are available for use. Please review our room attributes list to reserve the appropriate room for your event.

If you do not find a room that fits your needs in this list, or the rooms listed are not available during your requested times, please contact the Office Specialist 1 for assistance. 

If you are using WebEx for video conferencing, please refer to our WebEx Guide. To assist WebEx participants, please refer to our Participant Guide. For pieces of training regarding WebEx or other conference equipment, contact the Office Specialist 1.




Curricula and Course Offerings

Advising Resources for Faculty and Students


Graduate Faculty List

What Faculty Do - a list of Fisheries and Wildlife Faculty to help identify committee members and collaborators based on their research interests and skills or "what they do". 

Graduate School Forms

FW Graduate Forms

FW Graduate Guide

PhD Preliminary Exam Guidelines

Prospective PSMFWA Advisor Information

Sample MS Budget - Bringing on a new MS Student

What is the admissions process for a new Fisheries and Wildlife graduate student? 

  1. The faculty advisor notifies the Department Graduate Program Coordinator with a written letter of acceptance that includes funding information. 
  2. The student submits the OSU online application. Upon completion of the application, an email will be sent with instructions for step three.
  3. Upload the following documents electronically through the Graduate School's document upload system: two letters of reference, GRE scores, transcripts, and a Statement of Objectives. Students may submit paper copies if electronic submission is not possible.
  4. Our Department's Graduate Committee reviews the student's application packet. At least three votes for acceptance are required to move the file forward. If there are significant negative reviews, or if fewer than three members vote for acceptance, the faculty advisor can appeal to the Department Head for approval to admit the student.
  5. The Department's recommendation on admission is entered with the Graduate School. As long as the student meets the Graduate School's minimum standards for acceptance (3.0 GPA for regular admission, 2.8 for conditional admission, and a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution), they will finalize the admission and notify the student. If the application does not meet these standards, the department can elect to appeal to the Graduate School's Graduate Admissions Committee (GAC) for acceptance.


Unless the application requires an appeal to the GAC, the Graduate School process only requires two to five days to complete for non-international applicants. Appealed applications will be reviewed at the next GAC meeting, these occur once or twice a month.

If the student is admissible but official copies of transcripts are still needed, the Graduate School can admit the student with a one-term grace period to receive the documents, but only if the student has at least one unofficial transcript to review at the time of admission. Official GRE scores are not as critical, as they are a Department requirement and there is no Graduate School minimum standard for scores.

As long as the letters of reference and other review documents arrive quickly, we can complete the entire review process for a domestic student in as little as two weeks. We prefer to have at least 3 to 4 weeks turnaround before the start of the term the student is enrolling. This gives more time to navigate any possible roadblocks when the official documents arrive.

International student applications are sent on to the Graduate School’s international admissions coordinator, who reviews the file for additional requirements such as TOEFL scores and financial declarations. Once the file is deemed acceptable, a visa is requested.  Depending on the country of origin, obtaining a visa can take two to six months.

top of the page

Departmental Records

Research Proposal Application Information

Compensation Policy

Voting Policy

Courtesy and Affiliate Faculty Appointment Policy

Peer Review Teaching Guidelines

Outside Activities/Consulting Guidelines

Outreach Opportunities

What Faculty Do (.xls)

Letter of Recommendation Waiver - When a student asks for a recommendation (letter or phone call), it’s important to receive their explicit permission to discuss their student records (e.g. performance in a class; advising observations; et. al.). There are two waivers: internal to OSU and one for external to OSU, both are available on our FERPA site to use when a student asks for a recommendation. After a student completes a form, please return to the main Fisheries and Wildlife for filing.

top of the page

Promotion and Tenure Guidelines

Promotion and Tenure Guidelines from the College of Ag

Template CV

Where can I find eSET records? 

The Department of Fisheries and Wildlife has compiled a list of medians and means of CAS and FW eSET records since 2003. Any missing cells are data that were not compiled (see notes in the "metadata" tab). There are separate scores for Ecampus and Corvallis campus courses. "All" includes online, so the scores are not independent. 

top of the page