Existing waste water treatment plant in the city of Veneta, OR while in compliance with all effluent regulations occasionally exceeds the TMDL regulations especially during the summer. It has been proposed that the existing 500 acres of land next to the spray field be developed to meet the TMDL regulations and also develop it into a wetland and/or turtle habitat.
Some of the challenges are:
- The existence of a seven feet deep burrow pit in the property (7.5 acres area),
- The site is a state cataloged archeological site and material cannot be removed. It is not completely known if material can be added/removed from other areas or if it is permissible to develop the site for other uses. However, the site manager has identified several sites in other parts of OCF property which may be excavated for material to be used in construction above the existing grade. Additional design opportunities are possible in these other areas; specifically, constructed habitat is the desired end goal in these areas.
- Many regulatory issues involving multiple Govt. agencies (permits for cut and fill, Highway permits, archeological permits, Fisheries and wildlife permits as the water is discharged into the a river that is also salmon habitat) .
The objectives of this project will be to design, develop and evaluate different options to meet the existing TMDL regulations while providing additional ecosystem services such as turtle habitat, wetlands at a minimum economic cost.
At a minimum your design must include the following elements:
- Meet functionality constraints in terms of waste water treatment regulations, habitat restoration/conservation and aesthetics.
- Measures to conserve water, harvest water, improve water reuse/recycle and reduce discharge.
- Measures to conserve energy and improve energy efficiency.
- Consider climatic factors in your design.
- Economic considerations in all designs (Capital versus operating costs, comparison to current state of affairs).
- Regulatory aspects (ex. is the implementation of the project plan permitted by law?)
- Scalability to accommodate different funding scenarios.
Provide your design, evaluate the net present value of the design and life-cycle analysis.