Fisheries & Wildlife Administration
We educate our students to think critically and evaluate problems from a strong background in basic and applied science, fundamental ecological principles, and consideration of social influences on conservation. Our faculty and students focus on a wide variety of topics from genes to human-ecological systems to coastal sciences. We are at the cutting edge of emerging technologies such as the integration of biological and social sciences and our Ecampus programs are among the best in the nation. Oregon State University is strategically located for the study of fisheries and wildlife, surrounded by diverse ecosystems including the Pacific Ocean and coastal estuaries, many small and large rivers, lowland valleys, mountains and the high desert.
The Fisheries or Wildlife Management Graduate Certificates prepare you to learn effective solutions to complex fisheries or wildlife management challenges at both local and international levels. You’ll gain the knowledge needed to handle many different issues in the management of fisheries or wildlife resources.
The Professional Science Master’s degree in Fisheries and Wildlife Administration (PSMFWA) provides advanced training for early and mid career professionals employed by natural resources agencies, non-government organizations, and other entities with a need for expertise in fisheries and wildlife science.
Graduate Student Support
- Research and teaching assistantships are not available for these degree types but we offer a number of departmental scholarships.
- The Coalition of Graduate Employees (CGE) represents the interests and rights of Oregon State University’s graduate employees through the bargaining and maintenance of a fair working contract. CGE strives to create a community of graduate employees empowered to advocate for collective issues.
- A limited number of employment opportunities are available for Professional Masters Sciences students. The Coalition of Graduate Employees (CGE) represents the interests and rights of Oregon State University’s graduate employees through the bargaining and maintenance of a fair working contract. CGE strives to create a community of graduate employees empowered to advocate for collective issues.
How to Apply
The online application, a downloadable application form, and contact information are available from the Graduate School. You may also write to the Graduate School, Oregon State University, 2900 SW Jefferson Way, Corvallis, Oregon 97331; telephone them at 541-737-4881, or email at email@example.com.
A student wishing to be admitted to any graduate program at Oregon State University must complete an application form, pay the application fee, and submit photocopies of all official transcripts. International students must also submit recent TOEFL scores and certify sufficient funding to complete the required degree. The Office of Admissions provides a more complete listing of required documents and application steps. Detailed information for both domestic applicants and international applicants is also available.
Get to know us online:
- Department of Fisheries, Wildlife, and Conservation Sciences
- Corvallis Program
- Ecampus Program
- OSU Academic Catalog
- 45 credits, available both online and on campus) The PSMFWA degree a non-thesis program and largely coursework based, but students do complete a 6-credit capstone project or professional internship as their qualifying credential. A BS in a biological science is preferred and we require that students start out in our graduate certificate program.
- For more information: https://gradschool.oregonstate.edu/admissions/academic-requirements
Tommy Sheridan earned a Fisheries Management Graduate Certificate in 2012 and a Professional Science Master’s in Fisheries and Wildlife Administration in 2017. Support from Tommy’s family afforded him the opportunity to return to school online to further his education and advance in his career all while living and working in Alaska. Since graduation, Tommy has served as an external affairs officer at Silver Bay Seafoods, a fishermen-owned processing-and-freezing company in Valdez, Alaska.