The Mid-Columbia Agricultural Research and Extension Center is a branch station of the Oregon Agricultural Experiment Station administered by the OSU College of Agricultural Sciences. Our mission is conducting research and outreach supporting the tree fruit industry in the Mid-Columbia region, for long term economic, environmental, and social sustainability. Continuous discovery and outreach are keys to our on-going success.
Research and Extension faculty, research support staff, and operations and administrative staff work at the Center. In addition, visiting professors, scientists, graduate and undergraduate students and interns participate in research and Extension activities at the Center.
Our focus areas include:
The Hood River County office of OSU Extension Service is located at MCAREC. Extension programs have been serving the residents of Hood River County and the Mid-Columbia area for over 80 years.
The Mid-Columbia Experiment Station was established by legislative action in 1913. In later years, the name was changed to the Mid-Columbia Agricultural Research and Extension Center to reflect both research and Extension activities. Until 1925, research scientists shared offices in downtown Hood River with agencies of the United States Department of Agriculture. In 1925, offices were moved near the present location, where they have been since 1952. From 1947 until 1972, the Experiment Station also operated a 20-acre research orchard in The Dalles.