Health and Safety Training Manual: Appendices
Emergency Medical Plan*
Oregon Safety Codes state that every place of employment having more than one employee must have an emergency medical plan.
If a physician or an ambulance with an emergency medical technician is available to the place of employment within 30 minutes, the “emergency medical plan” is the posting of the emergency 911 number on or adjacent to operating telephones.
If the place of employment is not within 30 minutes of a physician or equipped ambulance, the emergency medical plan shall consist of:
- Communication: a two-way radio, telephone, or provision for emergency communication to contact an ambulance, physician, or hospital.
- Transportation: the availability of transportation to a point where an ambulance can be met or to the nearest suitable medical facility.
- A qualified first aid person (Red Cross training within the past three years). Employees are to be informed of the first aid person’s identity by super-visors. The name can also be posted by first aid kits and updated as necessary.
First Aid Supplies
Oregon State Safety code requires that first aid supplies shall be available in close proximity to all employees. The required supplies are based upon the intended use and types of injuries that could occur in the work environment.
It is the responsibility of each department to determine how many first aid kits are needed for its work areas and to develop a program for maintaining these kits. First aid kits and replacement supplies are available through the Facilities Services stores. The basic kit should contain, but not be limited to, the following items:
- Eight gauze pads individually wrapped (3" x 3" or larger)
- Two large gauze pads that can be folded to an approximate size of 8" x 10" or equivalent
- One box adhesive bandages
- One package gauze roller bandage at least 2" wide, or equivalent
- Two triangular bandages
- Wound-cleaning agent, such as sealed, moistened towelettes, or soap and water (not needed where running water is available)
- One blanket or equivalent
First Aid Training
Individual first aid training is available through the local Red Cross office.
*For emergencies see Emergency Response.