OSU College of Agricultural Sciences
2016-17 grants, awards, and contracts
- Fritzi Grevstad in Botany & Plant Pathology : A new collaboration between Fritzi Grevstad (BPP), Len Coop (Horticulture OSU) and Daniel Bean (Colorado Dept. of Agriculture) has been funded for $971,000 by the Dept. of Defense Strategic Environmental Research and Development Program.
- Tom Sharpton in Statistics received a 3-year $752K NSF grant to develop analytical methods to examine the evolutionary ecological distribution of microorganisms.
- Katie Dugger in Fisheries & Wildlife received $1.2M in funding from the USDA Forest Service to continue studies of the demography of northern spotted owls in Oregon and Washington.
- Pankaj Jaiswal in Botany & Plant Pathology received a Common Reference Ontologies and Applications for Plant Biology, from the National Science Foundation for $1,327,215.
- Yuan Jiang in Statistics is co-PI on a 5-year $4 million collaborative grant from NSF for a project on genetically engineered crops.
- Jeff Reimer in Applied Econ is Co-PI (PI is Meghna Babbar-Sebens). Funding sources are: National Science Foundation (NSF INFEWS) and USDA AFRI. $1,588,690
- Sarah Emerson in Statistics received the 2017 Loyd Carter Award for Outstanding and Inspirational Teaching in Science for her graduate teaching.
- Juliann Moore in Statistics received the 2017 Loyd Carter Award for Outstanding and Inspirational Teaching in Science for her undergraduate teaching.
- Hillary Egna at AquaFish was awarded $3.6M from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) for FY17 to address global issues in food security and aquaculture by cultivating international multidisciplinary partnerships that advance science, research, education, and outreach.
- Jonathan Velez in Agricultural Education & General Agriculture was awarded the Outstanding Research Paper at the American Association for Agricultural Education Research Conference.
- Jonathan Velez in Agricultural Education & General Agriculture was awarded both a First Runner-up and Second Runner-Up for two different articles in the Journal of Agricultural Education, Volume 57.
- Clint Shock at Malheur Experiment Station received the Distinguished Service Award, National Onion Association, Recognition of Service from the Nyssa-Nampa Sugarbeet Growers Association, and Volunteer of the Year award from the Treasure Valley Community College Foundation.
- Bruce McCune in Botany & Plant Pathology received the prestigious Archarius Medal for Lifetime Achievement in Lichenology – the highest international honor for a lichenologist.
- Joyce Loper in Botany & Plant Pathology was awarded the prestigious honor to be inducted into the United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service (USDA-ARS) Hall of Fame, September 2016.
- Molly Megraw in Botany & Plant Pathology received the 2017 OSU Promising Scholar Award, and the 2017 OSU Phi Kappa Phi Emerging Scholar Award.
- Chris Mundt in Botany & Plant Pathology received the Distinguished Service Award from the Oregon Wheat Growers Committee.
- Jay Pscheidt in Botany & Plant Pathology received the American Phytopathological Pacific Division Distinguished Service Award
- Gar Rothwell in Botany & Plant Pathology received the 2017 Lifetime Achievement Award, Paleobotanical Section, form the Botanical Society of America
- Alexandra Weisberg in Botany & Plant Pathology received the Postdoctoral Fellowship Award, Characterizing Competitiveness and Persistence of Agrobacteria in the Crown Gall Disease Niche, USDA NIFA
- Reinaldo Cooke in Animal & Rangeland Sciences received the 2017 Extension Award from the Western Section of the American Society of Animal Science.
- Reinaldo Cooke in Animal & Rangeland Sciences received was honored with the F.E. Price/Agricultural Research Foundation Award for Excellence in Research. The award recognizes outstanding contributions to agriculture.
- David Bohnert in Animal & Rangeland Sciences was honored with the Briskey Award for Faculty Excellence - Recognizing faculty achievement within the College of Agricultural Sciences.
- Ann Colonna, program manager for the Sensory and Consumer Evaluation Program at the Food Innovation Center, was honored with this year’s OSU Outstanding Faculty Research Award.
Graduate Student Awards:
Ø Abby Glauser in Botany & Plant Pathology was awarded theSavery Outstanding Master’s Student Award, Pregon Lottery Graduate Scholarship (McCune Lab)Ø Matthew Brown (BPP) received a NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship. His project is focused on understanding phytoplankton photoacclimation.Ø Patrick Bennett (BPP) received the Cascade Mycological Society and the Oregon Mycological Society Scholarships.Ø Zachary Foster (BPP) received best “Lightning talk” at CGRB Conference and received Best Poster at the OMBI Microbiome Research Forum.
- Ashley Miller (BPP) was awarded a Charles and Helen Fulton Memorial Scholarship.
- Colette Lambert (BPP) was awarded a Kori May Memorial Scholarship.
- Chandler Sprueill (BPP) was awarded a Thomas C. Moore Memorial Scholarship.
- Megan Seslar (BPP) was awarded the Bill & La Rea Johnston Outstanding Senior Award.
- Quinn Rasmussen (BPP) was awarded a Charles and Helen Fulton Memorial Scholarship.
- Tyler Hardy (BPP) was awarded a Charles and Helen Fulton Memorial Scholarship.
- Wyatt Johnston (BPP) was awarded a Thomas C. Moore Memorial Scholarship
- Amy Kessler (BPP) was awarded a Thomas C. Moore Memorial Scholarship.
- Elena Dupen (BPP) was awarded a Jean Siddall Memorial Scholarship.