Each year, the college receives money from the University, generated from overhead, for building upgrades. BUC funds are distributed and expected to be used according to OMB Circular A-21. They may only be used for the liquidation of a principle debt incurred to acquire assets that are used directly for organized research activities, or payments to acquire, repair, renovate, or improve buildings directly used for organized research. The college recommends projects from among unit proposals submitted to the Dean’s Office.

Requests should consist of:

  • a brief description of the item (please be succinct)
  • the rationale for the request
  • amount of BUC funding requested
  • funding commitment from your unit (if any)
  • the total cost of the project (total project cost must be ≥ $10,000)
  • estimated completion date of the project

The CAS BUC form should be used to submit unit requests (please submit a separate form for each request). If there is more than one request from your unit, please indicate the priority order of your proposed projects. If appropriate, attach supporting information.

In prioritizing CAS’ projects, consideration will be given to requests which support the research for multiple AES scientists. The level of matching funds would also be evaluated in the review of requests. Health/safety considerations, operational need, as well as budget soundness, level of reserves, returned overhead generated in previous year, and current status of BUC expenditures, are also used as decision criteria.

In anticipation of an early fall notice from the Office of Research regarding the availability of BUC funds, we will send out an RFP to our unit heads in mid-summer.

For additional information or questions, contact:

Gillian Yu
Agricultural Sciences & Marine Sciences Business Center
108 Hovland Hall