Scholarships available at Oregon State University and to the College of Agricultural Sciences are made possible by contributions from generous donors who have expressed their belief in the importance of a college education and wish to invest in your future. A letter of gratitude may be the key to continued support of extraordinary students like you and donors would appreciate knowing about you, the impact their generosity has on your education, as well as your future goals that are supported by the funding that you are receiving.
- Letters may be typed or handwritten and limited to one page.
- Check spelling and grammar, an important detail on an academic award.
- Be genuine and sincere.
- Begin with a salutation (example: Dear Mr. and Mrs. Jones).
- Include details about yourself. Examples:
- Major/s of study and involvement on- or off-campus
- Why you chose your major
- What you like to do in your free time
- Hometown or family background
- Experiences or life situations that led you to pursue a major in the College of Agricultural Sciences
- How earning a scholarship has enhanced your experience at OSU
- Goals of what you hope to accomplish as a student or plans after graduation – continued education or career aspirations
While letters should be professional in manner, do not hesitate to show your enthusiasm and appreciation. If you have questions or need help composing, please do not hesitate to ask, look online or visit the Writing Center on campus.
Finally, many donors like to maintain communication with students who receive their scholarship(s). While you are under no obligation to do so, you might consider providing the donor with your email or mailing address in order to allow further communication, which may include invitations to events, presentations, or luncheons.