The OSU Christmas tree program is based at the North Willamette Research and Extension Center in Clackamas county, the heart of Christmas tree production in Oregon. Christmas tree breeding, Tree growth and Culturing, Integrated Pest and Farm Management are the main focus of the program.
Call to Action!
Oregon State University Christmas tree specialist Chal Landgren will be fully retiring in June 2023. It is critical that his position is refilled. If this position is not refilled, Oregon will be left without anyone committed to working full time on Christmas trees in our state.
See what you can do to assist the Christmas tree industry in Oregon.
PNW Weed Management Handbook
The latest information and reference material for weed control practices and herbicides used in Christmas tree production.
PNW Plant Disease Management Handbook
Easy to use reference guide. Tip for using this guide: Enter "fir" into search field to find diseases related to all Christmas trees species.
NWREC Seed Orchard Development
Grafting began in 2013 on the Noble fir Christmas tree seed orchard. This orchard was the first of 5 orchards to be developed for improved seed production at NWREC. The most recent addition is a Trojan fir orchard, which may be the first of its kind in the United States. Other seed orchards include: Turkish fir, Nordmann fir and Douglas-fir.
News & Events
Summer Meeting and Farm Tour
June 17th, 2023
New one day format!
Educational Farm Tour for Christmas Tree Growers & Retailers
14457 S Carus Rd
Oregon City, OR 97045
Michigan State University Extension presents
Christmas Tree Winter Webinar Series 2023
“Christmas Tree Plantation Establishment” Thursdays in February 2023
Watch the videos of this webinar series from MSU
- "Got Weeds" Alternative Weed Management Strategies in Christmas Trees
- You’re Adding What? Best Practices to Improve Tree Establishment at Planting and Beyond
- Where do Christmas tree Seedlings come From?
- Root Rots, Grubs and Aphids-Oh My! Insect and Disease Control During Plantation Establishment
- Chal Landgren, Extension Specialist, Christmas Trees
- Judy Kowalski, Bio Science Research Technician, Christmas Trees
Our newest page featuring:
- Resources for growing and maintaining your Christmas trees.
- Past Zoom class videos